BY RITA WILKINS
THE DOWNSIZING DESIGNER
Have you ever wanted to make your master bedroom your own private refuge?
- A place just for the two of you, a romantic getaway in your own home… not just for Valentine’s day or special birthday or anniversary, but for all year long.
- A room that the minute you walk in, it sets the mood for romance. It feels like a romantic retreat… warm and intimate that you and your partner look forward to sharing every day of the year.
My Top 5 Tips on How to Design A Minimalist Master Bedroom Retreat That You’ll Love Year-Round
1. Pare down to the bare essentials
- The best way to start is by decluttering
Clear your room of all distractions, all non-essentials. That includes, tv, media, or clutter of any kind. Remove excess photos from your nightstands, magazines, books, or any other items that you have collected.
- Nix the clutter by paring down to just the bare essentials:
Your bed, a dresser, nightstand or night table, seating, a dresser. Everything else should be put away in drawers or closets. By taking this minimalist approach your focus will be on each other not on all of the clutter.
2. Make your bed or bed wall the primary focus of the room
When you feature the bed, the headboard, the luxury linens, pillows and robes, it is an invitation to relax, unwind, or simply enjoy.
One inexpensive way to do this is to create an accent wall with a dramatic paint color. Whether it’d be a dark and dreamy palette, a soft and sensuous color scheme, or maybe even a spicy flirty color each should be an expression of your unique personality and taste.
When you layer the bed with soft textured linens, plush pillows, and a luxurious “statement headboard” that is often over-scaled, you invite romance in to your room.
3. Set the mood with romantic lighting
Layer your lighting with multiple types of lights:
- A crystal chandelier
- Pendant lights above the night tables
- Sconce lighting for soft accents
- Lamp lighting as needed
- Candle lights
No matter what kind of lighting make sure to put dimmers on all of them for creating a romantic mood.
4. Create an intimate sitting area
The perfect loveseat with ottoman or pair of chairs angled in towards each other invites intimate conversations, snuggling, and sharing life’s most priceless moments. Use area rugs that are plush and extra soft to sit or lie down further enhance the experience.
5. Ignite your passions with those unexpected touches and flirty accents
If you want to design a minimalist retreat, don’t forget to arouse all of your senses in your new master bedroom retreat. Include sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch.
- Create a minimalist room that is not only beautiful to look at, but it tastefully displays a photo or two of a special place or time you shared together. It can also playfully display flirty accent pieces that include pillows, artwork, or books.
- Surround yourself with soothing music, favorite songs that bring back great memories of times you had together.
- Include some of life’s simple pleasures… champagne, strawberries, and chocolate.
- Entice your partner with soft robes, fresh flowers, pillows, and plush rugs.
Why not create a minimalist master bedroom retreat that radiates romance year-round?
I’m sure that both you and your partner will be glad you did! If you need help designing or decluttering your own master bedroom retreat, I provide virtual design consultation. Take advantage of a FREE 30-minute phone consult with me. Click here.