Make the most of your small home. Good design (and plenty of storage) can make your small spaces feel bigger.
1. Reduce your need for space.
• Cut back on how much you own.
• Install small appliances.
• Put space where you need it, not where you don’t (who needs a big room if it’s just for sleep?).
2. Design storage for your needs.
• Use vertical space (for example, book-shelves above windows or high on walls, and floor-to-ceiling storage).
• Waste no space (for example, put storage under stairs, drawers in stair risers and shelves in stud space).
3. Expand space via design.
• Keep spaces neither too open nor too chopped up.
• Let in plenty of natural light.
• Align furniture along a diagonal. Draw a line between opposite corners of a room and orient seating so people often look from corner to corner—long views makes rooms feel bigger.
What do you do to make your space feel bigger?