Downsizing is on the minds of many Americans…especially now! And, particularly with Baby Boomers who are or will become empty nesters in the not too distant future. With fewer day-to-day responsibilities, they’ve suddenly discovered more time and freedom to pursue interests that have been put on the back burner.
And, even if you’re not a Baby Boomer, since sheltering in place for over 6 months, are you asking yourself…Is this right house for you and your family?
- Are you looking to simplify your life, live with less stuff and less clutter so you can prioritize your time differently?…So you can spend less time organizing and managing all of your stuff and spend more quality time with your family, friends and loved ones.
- Now that you have been spending far more time in your home than you did in the past, are you realizing just how much stuff you have accumulated, but rarely use?…Stuff that takes up valuable space that could be used for something else…or maybe not needed at all.
- Are you asking yourself whether your big house is what you even want any longer, with all of the costs associated with maintenance and upkeep?
- Are you questioning whether you should consider a smaller more manageable house so you can spend more time on other things you enjoy?
But, the reality is you may not be ready to make such a dramatic lifestyle decision, or you may need or want to explore other options.
So, people are always asking me: Is there a way to downsize, to a simpler less cluttered life without having to move?
The simple answer is “Yes.” You can Downsize by Decluttering.
The more complicated answer is if you want a simpler lifestyle, so you have more time, money and freedom, then the question becomes: Are you willing to give up needing more?
As Americans we have accumulated a lot of stuff. According to a University of California study, the average American household has over 3000,000 items in it. All of this stuff contributes to more stress, more anxiety and more overwhelm. It also provides for less time and less energy for what matters most to you.
The good news is…
You don’t have to downsize to reap the benefits of downsizing that will contribute to a simpler more abundant life.
The bad news is…
You have to give up wanting more if you want to move toward a less cluttered, more intentional life.
The 5 Steps to Downsize by Decluttering
- Start the editing process today.
- Don’t wait another minute.
- Walk through your home and ask yourself what do you no longer want, need or use?
- Get rid of them.
- Get rid of duplicates and triplicates.
Begin noticing how much excess you have. As you begin to see progress, you gain momentum. Your family might even start to notice! Engage them in the process.
- Start paying attention to how much you already have.
- Begin appreciating what you have.
- When we value what we have we start to need less.
- Practice discerning WANT vs. NEED.
- Each time you go buy something, ask if it contributes to your goal of enjoying a simpler life.
- Will one more pair of great boots make you happy? Will they add value to your new lifestyle?
- Make a habit of using what you already have and buy only what you need.
- Get creative about what you can make for dinner using what you already have.
- Get creative with what you already have in your closet, so you don’t buy more.
- Challenge yourself to make “due.”
- Surprise yourself with how much time and money you can save by using what you already have.
- Stop buying MORE!
- As obvious as this might seem, challenge yourself to stop buying for at least 30 days.
- When you keep buying more you are sabotaging your efforts to live a less cluttered life.
If you are considering downsizing in the future, but you’re not yet ready, try Downsizing by Decluttering.
- Your home will look and feel lighter.
- You will feel lighter, freer and happier.
- You will wonder why you didn’t do this sooner!
Living with less allows you to live more!
And, remember to…
Create and live the life you love by…design!
If you are interested in knowing more, here are a few ways I can help:
Request my FREE step-by-step guide “ABC’s of Downsizing.”
Buy my #1 Amazon Bestselling book “Downsize Your Life, Upgrade Your Lifestyle: Secrets to More Time, Money and Freedom.” Chapter 7 is devoted to “Downsizing by Decluttering.”
Watch my TEDx talk “Downsize Your Life: Why Less is More” with almost 1,000,000 million views.
Schedule a complimentary call with me.
Do you have a downsizing or decluttering story that you’d like to share? I would love to hear from you. If you have any questions or comments, I invite you to email me Rita Wilkins, The Downsizing Designer at firstname.lastname@example.org